Monday, November 14, 2011

Old Man Sam

Be positive. That’s what I’m trying to do. It’s hard sometimes… to see the good. Because there is so much bad. Everywhere. There are chained dogs with no shelter—starving & freezing to death. Pit bulls fighting each other for their lives. Puppy mills breeding dogs in deplorable conditions, while millions of others die in shelters every year due to the pet overpopulation. But today, I am trying to be positive, & here’s how I’m able to do that…
I remember the lives saved. I think about the undying hope in a wounded dog’s eyes… & watching that hope turn to joy… the joy of finally being safe, happy, & loved. I think about the amazing gift I am given each time I witness a dog being adopted by their new forever family. For many, this is the first time in their life that they have ever truly been home.
Recently I placed my long time foster Sam. Sam was a HUGE mess and EVERYONE told me I was trying to place the impossible dog, No one would want him..When I rescued Sam he was 9 years old, set in his ways, un neutered, and sporting a grapefruit size tumor that constantly oozed puss...My fabulous vet Dr James gave me a great deal on a neuter and grapefruit size tumor removal... After the surgeries and summer buzz cut Sam was quite the man! I knew Sam needed a family with land, love, and NO male dogs....Well after much prayer, lots of tears, demolished drapes, half eaten window sills, several dog fights, and a HUGE boarding bill...Sam found a family with a REAL RANCH IN ELKO NEVADA!!!! Despite some regrets and wonder if I had done the right thing by putting this little old man through SO much at 9 years old, I now know it was worth it and all he needed was someone to believe in him. He will never know how much he meant to me. He will never know that he is the one who really saved me. That I am the lucky one. It turns out, the family Sam found had no idea he was looking for them or vice versa. I can’t even describe the joy I feel when I hear about this old boy living his new life. Happy. Healthy. Loved. Adored. Cherished. It’s unlike any other feeling in the world. In my heart, I know that Sam is exactly where he was always meant to be. God just asked me to get him there.