Friday, December 27, 2013

Keep Calm and Carry on Mom


From time to time I hang up from talking to my mother feeling inspired.  She was an amazing mom who did anything and everything for me.  More often than not every conversation also includes unsolicited parenting advice.  She loves to tell me that I'm too strict (totally NOT), and she also reminds me that this time in our lives is going to be over before we know it.  Kids grow up SO fast and I am really starting to understand the "time flies" idea. Last night we talked about all of the fun we shared while I was growing up and how tolerant she was of any and all of my antics.  She really was.  I know that I am impatient with regard to life, and in turn know that there are a few things I really need to CHILL out about.....For now I am going to focus on being the "KIND of MOM" I remember my mom being........ 
  •  The kind that smiles when Scout wakes me up extra early when my night was extra late.
  • The kind that can resist saying, “Please don’t walk through the puddles or the mud… you have cute shoes on”
  • The kind that encourages creative expression instead of saying "stop making a mess!"
  • The kind that can play legos or superhero for more than 20 minutes before saying “OK, Mommy’s going to read” and pulling out my People .
  • The kind that never says, “No, we CANNOT play outside. Now sit down and watch TV.”
  • The kind that can make a great meal for Scout that doesn’t include anything that comes from a box.
  • The kind that can embrace the idea that soon enough he won't want to sleep with me and my heart will ache.
  • The kind willing to entertain 99% of his wild and crazy ideas.
I really just want to be the kind of mom that doesn’t lose her s*it each ime he whines about something that totally matters to a four year old person. Or because I won’t give him ice cream for breakfast (on a regular basis). Or because I want him to wear more than three items from his overflowing closet Or because…I could go on ALL day.  I just want to be the "KEEPS CALM AND CARRIES ON MOM"  MOST of the time.  For now I am just going to do my best, love him like crazy, and  accept that I have NO clue what it feels like to be a wild and crazy four year old boy but I will always do my best to try and understand!