Monday, December 27, 2010

Edit my FB please

I've been self editing my Facebooking lately. It's not that I don't have the urge to write things. It's just I have to fight the urge to write really inappropriate things that maybe my old High School English teacher or father doesn't really need or want to know. Or anyone needs or wants to know for that matter.
"Can't wait to spend another day with my little boy" (read on a day where I am counting the minutes until bedtime) or "just took a 5 mile run" (read on a day where I've consumed a box and half of something that's surely not good for me or my thighs) posts have me really rethinking my 'status' box.
Social Media as a marketing tool I get and even as a way to be funny and irreverent but should the bragging be banned? Five years ago I had trouble deciding what to post considering my life was full of boy drama, friend issues, crisis, etc. Now instead of wanting to release all the fear and anxiety that being a parent brought, I want to breathe in every second of sweetness that my kiddo brings to me. And as much as I feared sharing my issues back then, I am equally afraid to share the Polyanna parent in me too, well maybe just on Facebook. Because frankly, it's annoying. It's annoying to hear someone complain too much about their kids and it's equally annoying to hear someone brag too much about their kids. Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that maybe I should just stop talking about my kid. But I can't. It's simply too big a love to shut my mouth. The same way I nauseated everyone of my friends after I first met my Rog. Somewhere along the way, I stopped. And I guess, life eventually did balance out: I stopped watching football with him and he stopped watching Nancy Grace with me; although we do come find each other on commercial breaks for a chat. (or a "can you please put your socks away?")
So, for now, I'm holding back on the 'ultra-annoying FB-look at me' posts. Of course, I have to sprinkle my page with the occasional kid photo and a "Laramie Steward is so hungover" just because I'm bored and have trouble showing restraint.